Resources for Mothers & Families
Nursing and Expecting Moms
General Breastfeeding Information
- Breastfeeding Online Website developed by Cindy Curtis, RN, IBCLC with variety of breastfeeding information.
- Common Sense Breastfeeding Website developed by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC with breastfeeding information.
- Health and Nutrition for pregnant and breastfeeding moms find out your nutritional needs.
- KellyMom: Breastfeeding and Parenting "...developed to provide evidence-based information on breastfeeding, sleep and parenting..."
- La Leche League Breastfeeding answers, forums, frequently asked questions, find a local La Leche League leader, and podcasts
- Low Milk Supply
Information and Support for Breastfeeding Mothers
Overview of milk production; information on supplementing, low milk causes, increasing milk, and overproduction.
- 101 reasons to breastfeed
- Women's Health Initiative-Breastfeeding Resources for breastfeeding provided by the federal government.
- The Basics of Breast Massage and Hand Expression from Breast Feeding Medicine of Northeast Ohio
- Maximizing Milk Production with Hands on Pumping from Stanford School of Medicine
These apps provide information on breastfeeding cues, tracking and troubleshooting help, but do not take the place of in-person lactation support from professionals. Be aware that some sponsored apps available only seek to promote their products. The breastfeeding-related apps listed below have been reviewed by the Central Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition but inclusion on this list does not indicate endorsement by the coalition.
- Text4BabyCost: FreeDescription: Receive text messages about your baby’s growth and development from pregnancy up to one year.
- LactMedCost: FreeDescription: Information about maternal and infant drug levels from NIH, possible effects on lactation and on breastfed infants, and alternative drugs to consider.
Breast Pump Information
- Information on Breast Pumps from the FDA
- Ameda website General breastfeeding information.
- Medela website General breastfeeding information.
Working and Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding for Working Mothers
- Business Case for BreastfeedingSteps For Creating A Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite
- Employee's Guide to Breastfeeding and Working PDF
Medications and Breastfeeding
- LactMed Gives maternal and infant levels of drugs, possible effects on breastfed infants and on lactation, and alternate drugs to consider.
- Infant Risk Center Provides up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm central time. (806)-352-2519 Nutrition While Breastfeeding
Please note: These books are listed as resources only, and are not necessarily endorsed by the Central MN BF Coalition
- The Breastfeeding Answer Book La Leche League International, 2003
- The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers Prima Communications, 2000
- The Nursing Mother's Companion: Revised Edition The Harvard Common Press, 2005
- Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers 2005
- The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk Mc Graw-Hill, 2009
- Mothering Multiples La Leche League International, 2007
- Nursing Mother, Working Mother: Revised Edition The Harvard Common Press, 2007
Children's Books Showing Breastfeeding