Resources for Health Professionals
Continuing Education for Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Basics credits: None; cost: FREE "...an academic, non-commercial, short course on the fundamentals of breastfeeding."
- Breastfeeding Grand Rounds credits: CEU's and CME's; cost: FREEArchived broadcasts of various breastfeeding and women's health topics.
- Breastfeeding Outlook credits: L-CERPs; cost: Varies by course "...live seminars and independent study modules..."
- Breastfeeding Training Course credits: up to 20 credits total: AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM, L-CERPS, AAFP Prescribed Credit, CPE dietitian credits or a Certification of Participation cost: $99Contains 14+ modules, each about 30 minutes in length.
- Curriculum Resource Guide from AAP credits: None; cost: FREEA list of many resources and references for breastfeeding education. Includes the Breastfeeding Support and Promotion Speaker's Kit under 'Training Materials'.
- Evergreen Perinatal Education credits: L-CERPs, contact hours, credit hours; cost: Varies by courseLactation courses, workshops and lectures.
ONLINE Baby Friendly Education Program for healthcare professionals!
- Expanding the Pharmacist’s Role in Breastfeeding Support: Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE) Online Tutorialcost: FREE
- Health e-Learning online education credits: L- or E-CERPs; cost: Varies by courseAccredited breastfeeding courses for lactation consultants, IBLCE exam candidates, and Baby Friendly - Step 2 Staff Education. Everyone receives a certificate upon completion. Also Experts-In-Lactation Lectures.
- Healthy Children's Center for Breastfeeding credits: L-CERPs, contact hours, credit hours; cost: Varies by courseLactation courses and conferences, learn at home courses.
- Increasing Breastfeeding Success credits: None; cost: $99.95 for complete set, or $14.95 for each module.Set of CDs with 10 separate, hour-long PowerPoint presentations. Each PowerPoint is a self-contained lecture that can be used for staff and/or client education.
- Lactation Education Resources
Online link to continuing education for IBCLC recertification, CPCUs and CERPs
- Lactation Management Self-Study Modules Level I, Third Edition (Revised) 2009 credits: None; cost: FREE3 self study modules. Accredited breastfeeding courses for Baby Friendly - Step 2 Staff Education.
- Minnesota Department of Health - WIC breastfeeding Website Upcoming training opportunities in Minnesota for WIC staff and other health professionals. Be sure to scroll down to Additional Sources for Breastfeeding Continuing Education for a list which includes conferences by state.
- Supporting and Promoting Breastfeeding in Health Care Settings CREDITS: L-CERPs, 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM , 1 nursing contact hour per module COST: FREESeries of four one-hour webcasts
- Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding online course credits: 24.4 CEUs for nurses and 24.4 L-CERPs for lactation consultants; cost: $194.95/person, less for groups. 5 online modules to view at your own pace.
- Vancouver Breastfeeding Centre credits: None; cost: FREE Passport to Breastfeeding course covers information on prevention, early detection and management of common breastfeeding problems.
Resources and Websites
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
Protocols for common hospital breastfeeding issues, links
Handouts available to print in English or Spanish under Q & As. Also webinars, tools and a latch video.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Breastfeeding Initiatives
Resources for health professionals in promoting and supporting breastfeeding. Includes the Breastfeeding Support and Promotion Speaker's Kit which can be used to educate health professionals.
- Baby Friendly USA
Non-profit organization implementing the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in the USA
- Best Start
Downloadable Posters: Breastfeeding: Guidelines for Consultant's - Physician's Desk Reference ; Breastfeeding Your Baby - Guidelines for Nursing Mothers
- Breastfeeding and Human Lactation Study CenterPhone: (585) 275-0088; Fax: (585) 461-3614 Networked computer system offering health care professionals free info on issues critical to the success of lactation and breastfeeding. Have both a bibliography and drug data bank updated monthly.
- Breastfeeding Resources and References for Health Professionals PDF
- Bright Future Lactation Resource Center Ltd.
Articles, education, and motivation resources for health care professionals.
- California WIC Program - Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding resources/posters/information handouts. Downloadable handouts/posters: What to Expect In the First Week of Breastfeeding; How does Formula Compare to Breastfeeding
- Hale Publishing/iBreastfeeding.com
Breastfeeding books including Medications and Mothers Milk (also available in on-line and palm versions). Free pamphlets and links to Breastfeeding websites under "BF info". Medications & More, a monthly newsletter with current research articles.
- INFACT Canada Infant Feeding Action Coalition
Variety of breastfeeding information, including resources and fact sheets
- Infant Risk Center
Provides up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm central time. (806)-352-2519
- La Leche League
Info on education opportunities, a Medical Associates Program, and sharing breastfeeding information in your area
- Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition Website
Breastfeeding handouts, link to WHO growth charts for breastfed children, breastfeeding software for PDA's, and more
Breastfeeding tips and tools for medical professionals; links to resources
Apps For Health Care Professionals
- Breastfeeding Management 2Cost: $1.99 on iTunes/Android Market
Description from Website: An evidence-based application developed by the renowned Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition to help the clinician identify, triage, and manage common breastfeeding problems in the first weeks of life. The Breastfeed App, formerly available for free, now includes 5 calculators, including two feeding calculators and a weight loss calculator. It also includes information on medications as well as a link to LactMed, the comprehensive online resource from the National Library of Medicine
- Health Care Provider’s Guide to BreastfeedingCost: FREE -- iTunes Store
Description from Website: An authoritative clinical resource for Physicians, Nurses, Dietitians, and other Health Care Providers. This application puts the latest evidenced-based protocols and recommendations for breastfeeding in your pocket
- InfantRisk Center for Health Care ProvidersCost: $9.99
Description: Uses research from Thomas Hale and the InfantRisk Center; Evidence based information on 20,000 medications and safety during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Disclaimer: All materials and information provided are for educational purposes only. If you have concerns regarding your health or the health of your child, consult your health care provider for individual medical care.